Acer palmatum 'Atropurpureum'
- in stock
- 12lt pot (0.8-1m)
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Next / named day £6.95
- Position: full sun (but not south-facing) or light shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained neutral to acid soil
- Rate of growth:slow-growing
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
An elegant small tree, with deeply lobed dark purple-red leaves that turn fiery red in autumn, and tiny purple flowers in spring. This neat, slow-growing acer has an open habit, and looks dramatic silhouetted next to buildings, as a focal point in a small courtyard, or in a Japanese-style garden. It needs a sheltered spot, away from strong winds or all-day sunshine. It also looks good in a container. The leaves may be greener if they do not receive sufficient light.
- Garden care: Add a top-dressing of a well-balanced fertiliser around the base of a recently planted tree in late spring and keep it well watered. No routine pruning is required, just remove any dead, damaged or crossing branches in late autumn or winter when they are fully dormant.