Anemone Wild Swan ('Macane001') (PBR)
RHS Chelsea Flower Show Plant of the Year 2011
- in stock
- 9cm pot
- in stock
- 2 + 1 FREE 9cm pots
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: May to November
- Flower colour: white with a blue reverse
- Hardiness: fully hardy
The winner of the 2011 Chelsea New Plant of the Year, this plant was discovered, and has been trialed for the last 10 years by Elizabeth MacGregor on her nursery in Scotland. It is believed to be a cross between early and late flowering forms (possibly A. rupicola & A. hupehensis), and the result is a plant which flowers intermittently from May to November. Each pure white petal has a distinct grey-blue streak along the reverse, so when in bud, or when the flowers nod and half close (in the mornings and evenings) the flowers look bluish, but when they are fully open they are a dazzling pure white. Ideal for the woodland garden or partially shaded bed, its long flowering period and pretty colouring is sure to make this new kid on the block very popular indeed.
These plants can be quite difficult to grow, so are probably better suited to the more experienced gardener.
- Garden care: Cut back the stalks after the flowers have faded, and tidy up old dead leaves in March. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant in spring.