Betula utilis var. jacquemontii 'Grayswood Ghost'
- in stock
- 10 lt pot (1.5-1.8m)
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Next / named day £6.95
- Position: full sun or lightly dappled shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: March
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A rare and attractive tree with very glossy green leaves that turn bright yellow in autumn. It is one of the best white-barked birches with glowing white, smooth bark and yellow catkins in spring. It is best grown as a specimen, in both a small or large garden, where the brilliant bark can been seen to its best effect. The white bark, develops fully when the tree is around 8 years old.
All the Betulas we supply are single-stemmed, but they can be planted close together to creat a multi-stemmed effect.
- Garden care: Birches dont need much pruning, but you may want to remove any diseased or crossing branches. It is essential that any pruning work is carried out between late summer to mid winter as the sap will 'bleed' heavily at other times. When planting incorporate lots of well-rotted garden compost in the planting and stake well.