chives / Allium schoenoprasum
- in stock
- approx 300 seeds
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Next / named day £6.95
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, moist but well drained
Delicious evergreen herb that will come back year after year. The slim, elegant dark green leaves can be snipped with scissors and used as a spicy addition to salads, or in soups, stews and curries. The pale mauve pom-pom like flowers, which are also edible and look wonderful when sprinkled over a summer salad, are produced in early summer, This is a very decorative addition to herb or vegetable garden.
- Growing Instructions:Choose a rich soil in sun or part shade and sow sparingly into shallow drills in spring. Cover lightly with more soil and water well. Can also be sown in seed trays full of potting compost: pot on seedlings as they grow and transplant outside allowing 10cm between plants. Keep well-watered and snip off flowers to keep plants producing new leaves. In late summer after flowering cut all leaves down to about 5cm above ground level to encourage a new flush of young growth.
- Sow: March to May
- Harvest: July to September
- Approximate quantity: 300 seeds.