Cornus sanguinea 'Midwinter Fire'
midwinter fire dogwood
- in stock
- 9cm pot
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Next / named day £6.95
- Position: full sun to part shade
- Soil: any moderately fertile soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
The green leaves of this upright, deciduous shrub turn bright shades of orange-yellow in autumn, before they fall to reveal spectacular orange, red and yellow bare stems. Position in full sun for best colour.
- Garden care: For best stem colour, leave the plant un-pruned for the first year after planting, but then cut the stems back hard (o within 5-7cm) from the ground before the buds break in March. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or horse manure around the base of the plant.