Cosmos atrosanguineus Chocamocha ('Thomocha') (PBR)
- available to order from spring 2018
- 9cm pot
- 3 × 9cm pots
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately fertile, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to September
- Hardiness: half hardy
A beautiful perennial, with sumptuous, velvety, bronze flowers produced above lance-shaped, blue-green foliage from June to September. The aroma of this new variety is even more chocolatey than Cosmos atrosanguineus and it's more compact too, so may not need staking. Great for growing in a sunny border and looks lovely when planted with other hot colours. To minimise frost damage, protect the tuberous roots with a cloche or overwinter in a frost-free environment.
- Garden care: In autumn after the foliage has died back reduce the stems to within 5cm (2in) of the roots. Lay in a tray of soil or compost and over-winter in a frost-free environment until early spring.