Daphne bholua 'Jacqueline Postill'
- within 3 weeks
- 13 cm pot 10-25cm
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, well-drained, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: January and February
- Hardiness: borderline hardy (may need winter protection)
Clusters of small, sweetly scented, deep pink buds open in January and February and are followed by rounded, purple-black berries. This choice deciduous or semi-evergreen shrub thrives in a sunny, sheltered position. This plant is very hard to propagate and slow growing, but well worth the patience and investment. Try it in a mixed or winter border or next to a path where its fragrance can be appreciated. Strongly upright in habit, it looks wonderful under-planted with a carpet of magenta or white Cyclamen coum.
- Garden care: Keep pruning to a minimum since the plant is very susceptible to die-back. Where necessary after flowering, lightly trim back to remove misplaced branches and maintain a compact habit.