Elaeagnus × submacrophylla
oleaster (syn Elaeagnus × ebbingei )
- available to order from summer
- 12lt pot (0.8-1m)
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: October and November
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Lustrous, dark green leaves with silvery undersides and fragrant, creamy-white autumn flowers. This versatile, shade-tolerant, evergreen shrub is equally at home in the shrub border or grown as an informal hedge. The plain green foliage is an excellent foil for ornamental or feature plants and for screening or linking areas of the garden. It also tolerates dry soil and salt-laden winds.
- Garden care: To keep hedging specimens tidy in late summer cut back long or misplaced shoots using secateurs. Remove any plain green-leaved shoots as soon as they appear, cutting them back to the origin.