Galanthus 'S. Arnott'
- available to order from summer 2018
- 5 bulbs
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Position: cool, partial shade
- Soil: moderately-fertile, moist but well-drained alkaline to neutral soil. Snowdrops dislike acid soils.
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: February-March
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb size: 6+
A rare, relatively large and vigorous form, named after Samuel Arnott (born in Dumfries in 1852) who was a keen gardener and snowdrop offocinado. He first discovered this in his garden and later introduced it into cultivation. Like a pumped-up version of the common snowdrop, this super-sized version has deliciously honey-scented flowers.
- Garden care: Plants will seed readily, but tend to hybridise. Lift and divide overly-large clumps while they are 'in the green' every 2-3 years after flowering from March to May. Replant immediately and water in well.