Hibiscus syriacus Purple Pillar ('Gandini Santiago') (PBR)
- within 2 weeks
- 1.5 litre pot
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Position: full sun
- Soil: humus-rich, moist but well-drained, neutral to slightly alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: August to October
- Hardiness: fully hardy
This new hardy hibiscus has a distinctive upright habit, so although it wont take up much room in the border, it will still offer height. This means that as well as being a great addition to the shrub border, where it will give lots of late summer and autumn colour, but it is also ideal for informal screening or planting up a narrow border.
- Garden care: To encourage a bushy habit prune young plants hard in late spring. After pruning apply a generous 5-7cm mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant. Once established it requires little if any regular pruning.