olive tree - ( ½ standard )
- in stock
- 8 litre pot
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Next / named day £6.95
- The photos on this page show the plant with gift wrap. This is not included in the price,however you may add gift wrap (for an additional charge of £4.95) during the order process. Please note: these plants are sold singularly.
- Position: full sun
- Soil: deep, fertile, sharply drained soil (or loam-based potting compost for container-grown specimens)
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: June to August
- Hardiness: frost hardy (needs winter protection in cold areas)
As our climate gets milder, the popularity of olive trees continues to grow. Olives respond particularly well to pruning, and they look elegant and modern grown as standards with a long, clear stem. The leaves are pointed, grey-green and leathery and are retained all year. Tiny, fragrant, creamy-white flowers are followed in hot summers by edible, green fruits. Olive trees make excellent specimens for a sunny, Mediterranean-style garden, or try this standard in a large pot to frame an entrance or terrace. In milder winters it can be left outdoors in a sheltered spot, otherwise, it will need to be overwintered under glass.
- Garden care: To protect against wind damage stake using a low angled stake, driven into the ground on the windward side at a 45 degree angle. Water regularly during dry periods, keeping the planting area weed-free. Apply a top-dressing of a nitrogen-rich general purpose fertiliser twice or three times each year during the growing season.
Our 3 litre pot ½ Standard plants are just over 3 years old and have a 45-50cm clear stem with a 20-25cm diameter head. Overall they are approximately 90cm tall including the pot (as shown in the photographs).
Our 8 litre pot ½ Standard plants are just over 4 years old and have 50-60cm clear stem with a larger approximately 30cm diameter head. Overall they are approximately 1m tall including the pot.