Rhododendron 'Arctic Tern'
- within 2 weeks
- 2 litre pot
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained, humus-rich, acid soil (or ericaceous compost in a pot)
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: May - June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Domed trusses of small, green-eyed white flowers, form in good numbers at the tips of the woody stems of this compact evergreen shrub. They do appear a little later than many of the other rhododendrons, so this is a option if you want to help extend the season into summer. The leaves are quite distinctive too, being a relatively light green and slender. It looks beautiful in a woodland setting, where the flowers really stand out in the dappled shade, or it can be potted up using ericaceous compost and placed on a partially shady patio.
- Garden care: Avoid planting too deeply, and apply a generous mulch of leaf mould around the base of the plant each spring.