Opuntia microdasys & pot cover combination
Please note some items are unavailable
- Position: bright but indirect light
- Compost: specialist cacti compost
- Rate of growth: slow
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 22cm (including pot)
- Pot covers: includes a 16cm pot cover
Forming big, fleshy segments, one on top of the other, this cactus forms a striking silhouette as it grows. As each new segment emerges from the tips of the previous one, it's reddish at first, but in time the segments turn greener, and become studded with small mounded clusters of short prickles. In ideal conditions creamy yello flowers may aslo appear at the ends of the fully grown segments.
- Home care: Place it in a bright spot and in spring and summer, water when the compost gets dry, but make sure it never sits in excess water for any length of time. In autumn and winter cut back on the watering but do not let it dry out completely. Avoid a humid atmosphere (no bathrooms or steamy kitchens) and in the warmer months, open a window or door occasionally so it can enjoy the fresh air. Repot every year or two into a slightly larger pot using cacti compost. You will find it easier to tackle if you concertina a couple of sheets of newspaper and then fold these around the spines, leaving a 'tail' that you can use to lift the plant out of one pot and into another. Otherwise invest in some thorn-proof gloves!
items included (click on thumbnail for more info)