Sansevieria bacularis 'Mikado' - snake plant & aluminium bowl combination
- Position:ideally bright, with some full sun, but will also tolerate shade
- Soil: fertile: good potting compost
- Rate of growth: slow
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 40cm (including pot)
From the family of mother-in-laws tongue, this plant has similar characteristics - ie. tough, easy to grow, and extremely tolerant. The difference is that this form has slim, spear-like foliage that fits in well with contemporary decor. It's one of those plants that doesn't take up too much space, but it does have a big impact.
Please note: It is quite common for these plants to have small nicks or scars on their leaves. This does not affect their long term health or vigour in any way.
- Home care:The main thing to avoid with this plant is over- watering, so only water (avoiding the crown) when the compost gets quite dry. In winter you can cut back even more and only water every month or two and keep temperatures above 10°C. Repot every few years when the roots start to split the pot.