× Colmanara 'Painter Tropic Jungle'
- available to order from spring
- 12cm pot - 50cm tall
- Position: bright but indirect light
- Soil: these plants do not need to grow in compost, but if potting up, use a specialist orchid compost
- Rate of growth: average
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: plant approximately 50cm
- Number of stems: 2 flower stems
- Pot cover: choose a 12.5cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot.
The lime green, plum and white flowers of this striking hybrid orchid can grow to around 4cm across, and as they will last for several weeks, they will make a stylish (and much longer lasting) alternative to a bunch of cut flowers.
- Home care: Water weekly by sitting the pot in a tray of water (or the kitchen sink) for 15 minutes so it can soak up as much as they like, then leave it to drain throughly before moving it back into position. Maintain temperatures around 15-24°C and keep them in a bright spot with protection from direct sunshine during spring and summer. Don't worry if the roots grow outside the pot. In their native environment, they grow in the crooks of branches, and use these aerial roots to absorb water from the air. They do not mind being overcrowded in their pots, so you only need to repot them when the growth starts to suffer.