× Oncidopsis 'Nelly Isler'
- available to order from spring 2022
- 12cm pot - 60cm tall
- Position: bright but indirect light
- Soil: these plants do not need to grow in compost, but if potting up, use a specialist orchid compost
- Rate of growth: average
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 60cm (+ or - 10% including the pot)
- Number of stems: 2 flower stems
- Pot cover: choose a 12.5cm orchid pot cover to give a good fit over the pot
The showy red and apricot-orange flowers of this complex hybrid have a slightly sweet fragrance, which is quite rare for an orchid, and as each flower can last up to 6 weeks, they offer great value.
Please note that the pot in the photograph is not supplied with the plant (which is sent out in a simple nursery pot). They do however make excellent potted plants, and if you wish to pot yours up, we do have a wide range of pots on our website to choose from.
- Home care: Water weekly by sitting the pot in a tray of water (or the kitchen sink) for 15 minutes so it can soak up as much as it likes, then leave it to drain thoroughly before moving it back into position. Maintain temperatures around 15-24°C and keep it in a bright spot with protection from direct sunshine during spring and summer. Don't worry if the roots grow outside the pot. In their native environment, they grow in the crooks of branches, and use these aerial roots to absorb water from the air. They do not mind being overcrowded in their pots, so you only need to repot them when the growth starts to suffer.