Abelia × grandiflora 'Kaleidoscope' (PBR)
(shipped in 3-5 working days)
- 7.5lt pot (0.5-0.8m)
- Next / named day
This shrub is semi-evergreen, so it can lose some of its leaves in winter. In colder regions or more exposed gardens, it may lose them all, but then fresh new foliage appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to October
- Hardiness: frost hardy (may need winter protection)
As the name suggests, 'Kaleidoscope' is primarily grown for its colourful foliage, which starts off in spring as a mix of bright yellow and green. During the summer the colour intensifies and deepens, and then in autumn shades of orange and red creep in. To top it off, it produces small, scented, pink-tinted white flowers, which emerge from pink buds, over a long period in summer and autumn. A low-growing, semi-evergreen shrub, it will add form, texture and colour to the shrub border.
- Garden care: When planting ‘Kaleidoscope’ incorporate well-rotted compost and some mycorrhizal fungi into the planting hole. In autumn after flowering, lightly In autumn after flowering, lightly trim back the flowered shoots to retain a neat and tidy shape. Remove any dead or damaged wood in April.