Acer japonicum 'Aconitifolium'
- in stock
- 1.5 litre pot (25cm)
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Next / named day £6.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained neutral to acid soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
An elegant maple that is one of the best for autumn leaf colour. It can be grown as a small, spreading tree or multi-stemmed shrub and is brilliant for adding achitectural interest. Before the leaves emerge in spring, it produces small clusters of purple-red flowers, which are quite pretty up close, but don't make much of an impact from a distance. The mid green, deeply cut foliage has a fern-like appearance and will turn spectacular shades of red and orange in autumn - especially when grown in partial shade. A super plant that has been awarded the coveted Award of Garden Merit by the RHS.
- Garden care: Add a top-dressing of organic matter around the base of the plant in autumn. No routine pruning is required, just remove any dead, damaged or crossing branches in late autumn or winter when they are fully dormant. As the leaves may scorch in full sun on a summers day, try to plant it so it gets some protection during the hottest part of the day and shelter from cold winds.