Acer palmatum 'Red Wine'
- in stock
- 3 litre pot - 25cm
- Standard £4.95
- Next / named day £6.95
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: lightly, dappled shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained neutral to acid soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
The foliage of this new variety emerges each spring bright salmon-orange, but as they mature (and throughout the summer), the leaves are a soft golden green. In the autumn the leaves change colour once again, turning bright orange this time before they are shed. A bushy shrub 'Mika' has an upright habit, so it works well in a large pot, but it will also make an excellent specimen for a smaller garden.
- Garden care: Plant in a spot that is sheltered from strong winds and hot midday sun and add a top-dressing of multi-purpose fertiliser around the base in late spring. Keep well watered, but no routine pruning is required - apart from removing any dead, damaged or crossing branches in late autumn or winter when they are fully dormant.