Acer palmatum 'Tsuma-gaki'
- available to order from autumn
- 3 litre pot - 40cm
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained neutral to acid soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Each spring, a fresh batch of attractively lobed chartreuse green leaves emerge, each with distinctive red tips and a slender red margin. As it matures, the foliage turns fresh green, while still retaining the red leaf tips, but then the red colour becomes more and more prominent in autumn before the leaves are shed. A compact and shrubby Japanese maple, 'Tsuma-gaki' is ideal for smaller gardens as well as larger pots.
- Garden care: Add a top dressing of a multi-purpose fertiliser around the base of the plant in late spring. No routine pruning is required, just remove any dead, damaged or crossing branches in late autumn or winter when they are fully dormant.