Achillea millefolium 'Red Velvet'
- available to order from autumn
- 9cm pot
- 3 × 9cm pots
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moist, well-drained, non acidic
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: May to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
This cultivar is said to have a good resistance to colour fade, so the flattened, plush velvet red flowerheads, which are held on upright stems above the aromatic fern-like foliage, hold their colour well throughout summer. Best in full sun in the middle rank of the border. Achilleas will attract many beneficial insects including bees, butterflies and hoverflies to the garden.
- Garden care: Protect from slugs. Stake using twiggy stems before the flowers appear. Cut back after first flowering to encourage a secondary flush in late summer/early autumn. Old clumps can be revived by lifting, splitting and replanting in spring.