kolomikta vine / michurin actinidia
- available to order from spring 2021
- 2 lt pot (60cm cane)
This climber is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June
- Hardiness: frost hardy (may need winter protection)
A striking deciduous climber, grown mainly for its heart-shaped, deeply veined leaves which have splashes of pink and white on the tips, as if they've been dipped in paint. The flowers, which appear in early summer, are white and fragrant. This unusual, overlapping foliage looks marvellous on a sunny, protected wall. The variegation appears mostly on the uppermost sections of the plant and is often not apparent on young plants, so you will need to give your actinidia a couple of years to settle in.
- Garden care: Plant in a sheltered spot. Tie the main stems on to a series of horizontal galvanised wires. In early spring, remove any crossing, diseased or overcrowded stems.