Agapanthus 'Midnight Star'
African lily Navy Blue
- available to order from summer
- 2 litre pot
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained soil (or John Innes no. 3 compost for containers)
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: August to September
- Hardiness: frost hardy (may need protection in winter)
This beautiful African lily produces rich and brooding colour in mid to late summer when its rounded heads of deep blue, trumpet shaped flowers erupt from bud. These appear on reasonably tall, upright stems from amongst the strap-shaped, deciduous leaves. A star performer.
- Garden care: Keep well-watered during the growing season, applying a balance liquid fertiliser each month from spring to flowering. Towards the end of September ease back on the watering and feeding of plants in containers to allow the foliage to toughen up. In cold, exposed areas protect the crown of the plant with a deep, dry winter mulch.