pheasant's tail grass ( syn. Stipa arundinacea )
- in stock
(shipped within 1 week)
- 2 litre pot
- Next / named day
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, medium to light, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Hardiness: frost hardy (needs winter protection)
Pheasant's tail is a wonderful grass that provides year-round colour, movement and structure. It forms a fountain-like clump of slender evergreen foliage, which emerges green, but develops irregular yellow, orange and red spotting and streaking. This colouring becomes even more intense during the colder months of the year and the overall effect is very pretty. An added bonus is the sprays of airy flowerheads, which appear in late summer.
- Garden care: In spring, tease out dead foliage by gently running your fingers through it as if it were hair. It may self-seed, but simply pull out seedlings when you see them.