Anemone × hybrida 'Elegans'
- available to order from autumn
- 9cm pot
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, fertile, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: August to October
- Hardiness: fully hardy
The light purple-pink flowers of this Japanese anemone appear on airy stems in clusters of up to 20 at a time in late summer and autumn. This vigorous perennial is ideal for areas of partial shade towards the back of a moist herbaceous or mixed border. Their flowers produce very little pollen, so are good for including in low allergen gardens, or if you do not want to attract bees into the garden.
- Garden care: Cut back the stalks after the flowers have faded, and tidy up old dead leaves in March. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant in spring. Avoid moving the plant since it resents disturbance. Where necessary lift and divide congested clumps in early spring.