Eventual height & spread
Anemone × hybrida 'Pretty Lady Susan' (Pretty Lady Series)
- available to order from summer
- 9cm pot
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, fertile, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: August to October
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Vibrant pink flowers, each with a showy yellow eye, will add a shot of bright colour to the herbaceous border in late summer. Classic cottage garden favourites, Japanese anemones also work well in town gardens, where they help to extend the season of interest well into autumn.
- Garden care: Cut back the stalks after the flowers have faded, and tidy up old dead leaves in March. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant in spring. Avoid moving the plant since it resents disturbance. Where necessary lift and divide congested clumps in early spring.