Anemone blanda 'White Splendour' - potted bulbs
- 3 × 9cm pots
- available to order from spring
- 9cm pot
- Standard £5.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: well-drained, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: March to April
- Hardiness: fully hardy
In spring, large white daisy-like flowers (to 4cm across) emerge above the attractively lobed, dark green foliage. Each petal has a pink flushed reverse and they all sit around a boss of yellow stamens. Ideal for underplanting shrubs or trees, naturalising in a mixed border, or at the edge of a woodland area where these gorgeous little wood anemones will lift the spirits in spring. For maximum impact plant in bold drifts, and if possible, team it with summer flowering perennials that will mask the foliage, which dies back soon after the flowers fade. Growing from corms, which have been potted up in autumn, they may be showing some signs of life (depending upon what time of the year you buy them), however they are unlikely to show any significant root growth. They should however be planted out as soon as possible into well-drained, fertile humus-rich soil.
- Garden care: Leave undisturbed and they will spread to form large drifts. Avoid excessive winter wet and apply a generous layer of mulch in autumn.