apple 'Golden Delicous'
apple Golden Delicious
(shipped in 2-3 working days)
- mm106 12litre (bush)
- Oversized £7.95
- Named day £15.95
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Ultimate size on MM106 rootstock: 5.5 x 5.5m (18 x 18ft)
- Flowering period: April and May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Pollination group: this apple belongs to pollination group 4 (flowering very late)
Originating from a West Virgianian farm in the 19th century, this is still one of the most sought after varieties. The large, handsome fruits ripen in October and are deliciously sweet and succulent when home grown and picked when fully ripe. It's versatile too, as the fruits can be eaten straight from the tree, or used for cooking.
- Garden care: Keep the base of the tree weed free, fertilise at the beginning of each year and water regularly during hot, dry spells. The main prune should be done in the winter as long as it isn't frosty or freezing. Take out the 3D’s (dead, dying and diseased wood) and create an open shape. Then reduce the leaders back by a third. Aim to create an airy structure without any crisscrossing branches. Summer prune in August by shortening any side shoots (or laterals) which are longer than 20cm back to three leaves. This will allow the sun to ripen the fruit and encourage more fruit buds. Make sure that the growth you’re cutting away feels firm to the touch.
- Pollination information: This apple belongs to pollination group 4, so you will need to plant one other different variety of apple to guarantee cross pollination, and a subsequent bumper crop. Ideally this should come from the same pollination group, however it is possible to use one from group 3 as well.