Aquilegia vulgaris var. stellata 'White Barlow'
- 2 + 1 FREE 9cm pots
- available to order from summer
- 9cm pot
- Standard £4.95
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: May to June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
In early summer, a mound of fern-like foliage is topped with fully double, spurless white flowers, which nod gracefully at the ends of the stiff, upright stems. A pretty aquilegia, that looks great with both cottage and woodland settings.
- Garden care: Lift and divide large clumps in early spring and apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted manure or garden compost around the plant. Divided specimens may take some time to establish since they dont like having their roots disturbed. Deadhead to prolong flowering. Contact with the sap may cause skin irritation.