Astilbe 'Mighty Chocolate Cherry'
- available to order from autumn
- 9cm pot
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, humus-rich soil
- Rate of Growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period:July to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
The dense, fluffy plumes of this recently introduced astilbe are held on chocolate-flushed stems, and bear dark pink buds that open to hot pink flowers in midsummer. These rise above handsome mounds of burgundy-green foliage, so the overall effect is very showy and colourful.
- Garden care: Ensure that newly planted astilbes are kept well watered until they are established. Lift and divide large clumps every three or four years in late winter or early spring, discarding ol, woody rhizomes.