Eventual height & spread
Astrantia major 'Large White'
masterwort ( syn. Astrantia major White Giant )
- available to order from spring 2021
- 2 litre pot
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, preferably humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A white astrantia, with green tipped petals, that form the same distinctive pincushions, but on a slightly grander scale. These are particularly well suited to prairie style planting schemes as their flowers add a different form and texture to the ornamental grasses. Alternatively create large, sweeping clumps throughout herbaceous borders where you can enjoy their long lasting summer flowers throughout summer. Plant more than you think you need, as they are great for cutting for both fresh and dried arrangements too.
Astrantias have been cultivated in Britain since the 16th century and have numerous common names, such as melancholy gentleman, Hattie's pincushion and the more well known masterwort.
- Garden care: Incorporate plenty of organic matter when planting and water well in dry weather, especially newly established plants. Lift and divide large clumps in early spring and apply a generous 5-7cm mulch of well-rotted manure or garden compost around the plant. Divided specimens may take some time to establish since they don't like having their roots disturbed.