Astrantia 'Roma' (PBR)
- in stock
(shipped within 7 working days)
- 9cm pot
- Next / named day
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, preferably humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Delicate, papery, soft pink flowers which are held on wiry stems above attractive deeply lobed, mid-green leaves. This delightful masterwort is a vigorous variety with a much longer flowering period than most pink or red varieties. It looks particularly fetching planted with grasses and is garden designer, Piet Oudolf's favourite masterwort.
Astrantias have been cultivated in Britain since the 16th century and have numerous common names, such as melancholy gentleman, Hattie's pincushion and the more well known masterwort.
- Garden care: Incorporate plenty of organic matter when planting and water well in dry weather, especially newly established plants. Lift and divide large clumps in early spring and apply a generous 5-7cm mulch of well-rotted manure or garden compost around the plant. Divided specimens may take some time to establish since they don't like having their roots disturbed.