pony tail palm
- available to order from autumn
- 24cm pot - 85cm tall
- Standard £4.95
- Position: a well lit place with some direct sun
- Soil: good potting compost
- Rate of growth: slow
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 85cm (including pot)
- Pot covers: choose a 25cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot.
In time this plant will grow to around 2m or more. It is an interesting-looking plant with a bulb-like base that holds onto water (which means you don't need to water it very often), with a topknot of slender leaves that cascade around the stem. This pony tail palm does not need humid air, so copes well with centrally heated rooms. Please note that the pot in the photograph is not supplied with the plant (which is sent out in a black plastic pot). They do however make excellent potted plants, and if you wish to pot yours up, we do have a wide range of pots on our website to choose from.
- Home care: Water well, making sure the excess water drains away freely. These plants dislike overwatering, so let the compost get quite dry before repeating the process again. Repot only when necessary, using a pot only a few centimetres wider than the bulbous base. Air temperatures should not dip below 7°C in winter.