Berberis thunbergii f. atropurpurea 'Harlequin'
- 6 × 9cm pots
- available to order from spring 2021
- 9cm pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: slow to average
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
To find out more about how to plant a hedge, click here.
The reddish-purple leaves, which are heavily marbled with pink and white, are perhaps the most striking feature of this deciduous shrub. It does however also produce small, red-tinted, pale yellow flowers in mid- to late spring and later in the year, glossy red berries. It makes a great specimen plant for a well-drained sunny border and should be clipped each year in autumn or winter to keep the colouring at its best.
- Garden care: Requires minimal pruning. Where pruning is required, cut back in autumn or winter, after the appearance of the autumn fruits.