Betula utilis var. jacquemontii
west Himalayan birch
- available to order from summer
- 1.5 lt pot (1-1.5m)
- 3 ×1.5lt pot(1-1.5m)
- Standard £4.95
This tree is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or lightly dappled shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: March
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Attractive bright white bark, dark green leaves, which turn yellow in autumn, and yellowy brown catkins in spring. An elegant tree that is perfect for all gardens, large or small. It can be grown as a specimen in the lawn, grown in a group in a woodland or just planted as a feature in the garden border. These trees are sought after for their white bark, the colour of which develops fully when the tree is around 8 years old.
- Garden care: Requires minimal pruning. Remove any broken, diseased or crossing branches in late autumn or winter. When planting incorporate lots of well-rotted garden compost in the planting and stake well.