half hardy hyacinth orchid bulb
- available to order from winter 2020
- 1 bulb
- 3 bulbs
- Position: partial shade in summer
- Soil: moist, well-drained, humus-rich soil
- Flowering period: June to July
- Hardiness: half hardy
- Bulb size: 2/3
Up to 12 pink blooms, each with ruffled lips that are usually infused with a darker shade, open in succession on the slender, upright stem in spring. An easy to grow plant, which if left undisturbed, will spread to form good-sized clumps.
- Garden care: Plant bulbs 2cm deep and 15 - 20cm apart in a partially shaded position. In mild areas apply a generous layer of dry mulch in autumn to provide insulation. Alternatively, lift the bulb in autumn and store it in a dry, frost-free place. Bletillas grown in pots should be moved to a conservatory or unheated greenhouse during winter. They should be kept dry during their winter dormancy.
- CAUTION do not eat ornamental bulbs