Calamagrostis × acutiflora 'Karl Foerster'
feather reed grass
(shipped in 3-5 working days)
- 2 litre pot
- Next / named day
This grass dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: dry or wet, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast growing
- Flowering period: early summer to autumn
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A stiff, erect habit is the defining feature of this grass, named after the famous German plantsman who introduced it to the public in the 1950s. Plant it en masse to form a feathery screen, or in small groups to add height and definition to a perennial border. It also looks good planted next to buildings. This is one of the earliest perennial grasses to get going, with shoots appearing in early spring, followed by flowers that are green first, then fade to buff.
- Garden care: Very low maintenance, it simply needs to be cut down to the ground in February. Don’t be tempted to chop it earlier, as its wheat-coloured stems add drama and strong winter presence to the garden.