Camassia leichtlinii subsp. suksdorfii 'Alba'
- available to order from summer 2021
- 5 bulbs
- Standard (dispatched separately)
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist but well-drained, fertile, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May
- Hardiness: frost hardy (may need winter protection)
- Bulb size: 12/14
Tall spires of creamy-white, star-shaped flowers appear above strap-like leaves in late spring and early summer. Originally from damp meadowlands in North America, this bulbous perennial is perfect for naturalising in a wildflower meadow. It will happily grow in moist soil in sun or partial shade as long as the soil doesn't become waterlogged. Take advantage of its brief flowering season to brighten up a border before summer perennials take over. Or plant in a border that is backed by a tall hedge, where the dark foliage will show the flowers off.
- Garden care: Plant the bulbs 8cm deep and 20cm apart in big groups in the autumn. Try to plant them where they will remain undisturbed for several years as they resent being moved. In cold areas, apply a generous layer of mulch in autumn.
- CAUTION do not eat ornamental bulbs