Camellia japonica 'Adolphe Audusson'
- available to order from autumn
- 3 litre pot
- Standard £4.95
- Position: partial shade (but not east-facing)
- Soil: moist but well-drained, humus-rich, acid soil (or ericaceous compost for container-grown specimens)
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: March to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A lovely camellia with large, semi-double, blood-red flowers offset by deep green, glossy leaves and compact, upright growth. This is arguably the best red camellia, with masses of flowers for many weeks. It's ideal for a mixed or spring border and the foliage provides an excellent foil for spring bulbs.
- Garden care: To prevent damage to the emerging buds and flowers protect from cold, dry winds and early morning sun. Water established plants in dry weather to prevent bud drop. Apply a balanced liquid fertiliser in mid-spring and again in June. Top-dress annually with shredded bark or well-rotted leaf mould. After flowering lightly trim or prune any branches that spoil the appearance of the plant.