Camellia sasanqua 'Narumigata'
autumn flowering camellia
- available to order from summer
- 3 litre pot
- Standard £4.95
- Position: partial shade (but not east-facing)
- Soil: moist but well-drained, humus-rich, acid soil (or ericaceous compost for container-grown specimens)
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: October to December
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Fragrant, single, pink-tinged white flowers glow against the lustrous, dark green leaves of this early-flowering, award-winning camellia. The delicate petals start to unfurl in October just when the garden is most in need of colour and scent. Strongly upright in habit, it's best grown in a sheltered spot.
- Garden care: To prevent damage to the emerging buds and flowers protect from cold, dry winds and early morning sun. Water established plants in dry weather to prevent bud drop. Apply a balanced liquid fertiliser in mid-spring and again in June. Top-dress annually with shredded bark or well-rotted leaf mould. After flowering, lightly trim or prune any branches that spoil the appearance of the plant.