Camellia sasanqua 'Red'
autumn flowering camellia
- available to order from spring
- 1.5 litre pot
- Standard £5.95
- Position: partial shade (but not east-facing)
- Soil: moist but well-drained, humus-rich, acid soil (or ericaceous compost for container-grown specimens)
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: October to December
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Offering lustrous, year round foliage and an abundance of pinkish red blooms in autumn and winter, this handsome shrub will help brighten up some of the duller days of the year. It's compact enough for a large pot, so could be placed on a generous terrace, but it will also make a great statement if placed beside a door or entranceway. If your soil has an acidic pH, it can be planted straight out into deeper borders, where it will act as an unassuming backdrop in summer, while taking centre stage when its sumptuous colour is needed most.
- Garden care: To prevent damage to the emerging buds and flowers, protect from cold, dry winds and early morning sun. Water established plants in dry weather to prevent bud drop. Apply a balanced liquid fertiliser in mid-spring and again in June. Top-dress annually with shredded bark or well-rotted leaf mould. After flowering lightly trim or prune any branches that spoil the appearance of the plant.