- available to order from late spring
- 3 litre aquatic pot
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: deep, permanently moist, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June
- Hardiness: fully hardy (borderline)
Upright stems clothed in super-sized leaves add an exotic feel to the planting scheme. Then, throughout the summer flowers, each made up of large, slightly ruffled petals, form in showy clusters. An eye-catching addition to the edges of a pond, it can also be used to add height (and colour) to other seasonal plants.
- Garden care: These plants are potted up (using a suitable aquatic compost) into 3 litre aquatic pots. These pots are made of a fine mesh, which allows water to circulate through the compost, providing the plants with both oxygen and nutrients. If you are using them as a aquatic plant, they can be placed straight into the pond margins. Cut the foliage back to ground level as soon as it is blackened by a hard frost, and apply a generous layer of mulch around the base. In colder regions, the clumps are best lifted over the winter, and stored in a frost free greenhouse or shed. To enhance flowering divide congested clumps every three to five years.