Ceratostigma willmottianum Forest Blue ('Lice') (PBR)
- available to order from summer
- 2 litre pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, light, moist but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: August to October
- Hardiness: fully hardy
This spreading, deciduous shrub brings welcome colour to the garden in late summer and early autumn when many other flowers have gone over. Masses of disc-shaped, vivid cobalt-blue flowers appear from August to October, and in autumn, the leaves turn a rich russet-red. It's best in towards the front of a sheltered, sunny border in soil that does not get too dry.
- Garden care: In early or mid-spring cut back the flowered shoots to within 2.5cm (1in) of the old growth. After pruning apply a generous 5-7cm mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant.