- available to order from spring 2021
- gisela 5 11.5lt bush
This plant is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun
- Soil: deep, moist but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Ultimate size on Gisela 5 rootstock: 3.5 x 3.5m (10x10ft)
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
An exceptional, self-fertile, sweet cherry with large dark red or black fruit. White flowers appear in mid-spring, followed by delicious, juicy cherries which are ready for picking in late July. It is a vigorous grower, starting with an upright habit, spreading as it matures. An early and prolific cropper, that will usually start to crop within 2 - 3 years. It also makes a good pollinator for other cherries.
- Garden care: When planting incorporate lots of well-rotted garden compost in the planting hole and stake firmly.
Stone fruits like the plum should be pruned in the summer because they are prone to a disease called Silver Leaf which enters through cuts. If you prune in late summer, the sap is slowing but is still running fast enoughenough to seal up any wounds. Check and remove any damaged, diseased or broken branches.