clematis (group 3)
- within 4 weeks
- 2 lt pot (60cm cane)
- Next / named day
This climber is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained, neutral soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: May to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Masses of small, wine-red flowers with deep pink veining from May to August. An excellent climber that makes a good partner for a climbing rose, shrub or tree in full sun or partial shade. An easy-to-grow variety, it is resistant to clematis-wilt and damage from moderate winds.
- Garden care: In early spring cut back the previous year's stems to a pair of strong buds about 15-20cm (6-8in) above ground-level and apply a slow-release balanced fertiliser and a mulch of well-rotted garden compost around the plant, avoiding the immediate crown.