Clematis Fragrant Oberon ('Hutbron') (PBR)
clematis (group 1)
- available to order from spring
- 3 lt pot (60cm cane)
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: March to April
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Reputed to be one of the most fragrant clematis to date, the early spring flowers have small, lemon-white petals that are often flushed with green, surrounding prominent lime green stamens. These pretty flowers have a satiny sheen and really stand out against the backdrop of the lustrous, evergreen foliage.
These plants are sold in a 2-litre pot and will be approximately 2 years old, however because they are in such high demand, they are often sent out before they have developed much top growth. After planting out however they will go on to produce lots of top growth (and usually flower if given the right conditions) within a year.
- Garden care: No routine pruning is necessary. If the spread of the plant needs to be restricted prune immediately after flowering, cutting back overlong shoots to healthy buds. Apply a slow-release balanced fertiliser and a mulch of well-rotted garden compost around the base of the plant in early spring.