Clematis 'Little Mermaid'
clematis (group 2)
- available to order from spring
- 2 lt pot (60cm cane)
This climber is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained, neutral soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: May to June and August to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Peachy-pink petals, often with a purple flush at their base, usually appear in a double layer around a generous cluster of golden yellow anthers. First appearing in early summer, they will often have a second flush of flowers in late summer or early autumn, so they provide two (very pretty) seasons of interest. Diminutive in stature, they are ideal for growing in large pots topped with an obelisk, or let them scramble up a piece of trellis attached to a fence or wall that will get a good amount of sun each day.
- Garden care: Remove dead and damaged stems before growth begins in early spring, cutting all remaining stems back to where strong buds are visible. Apply a slow-release balanced fertiliser and a mulch of well-rotted garden compost around the base of the plant in early spring.