Clematis 'Prince Louis'
clematis (group 2)
- available to order from late summer
- 2 lt pot (60cm cane)
- Standard £4.95
This climber is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil, neutral soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May to June and September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
This clematis was introduced in 2018 to mark the arrival of His Royal Highness Prince Louis of Cambridge. The flowers are large, and each violet-blue petal has an irregular creamy white stripe along their length, so they produce a fresh two-tone effect against the backdrop of rich green foliage. Once the main flush of flowers dies back, this hardy clematis will often produce a second, less profuse flush of flowers, which will add a spash of colour in early autumn.
- Garden care: Remove dead and damaged stems before growth begins in early spring, cutting all remaining stems back to where strong buds are visible. Apply a slow-release balanced fertiliser and a mulch of of well-rotted garden compost around the base of the plant in early spring.