Clematis 'Royal Velours'
clematis (group 3)
- available to order from summer
- 2 lt pot (60cm cane)
- Standard £4.95
This climber is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: July to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Masses of dramatic, dark velvety-purple flowers from July to September and mid-green leaves. This vigorous clematis looks stunning grown through plants with pale, silvery-grey or variegated foliage. Ideal for training through a strong tree or shrub in full sun or partial shade it is resistant to clematis-wilt and stands up well to wind.
- Garden care: In early spring cut back the previous year's stems to a pair of strong buds about 15-20cm (6-8in) above ground-level and apply a slow-release balanced fertiliser and a mulch of well-rotted garden compost around the plant, avoiding the immediate crown.