Eventual height & spread
Clematis 'Étoile Violette'
clematis (group 3) (syn. Clematis Etoile Violette)
- available to order from late spring
- 2 lt pot (60cm cane)
This climber is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained, neutral soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: July to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
This vigorous, late summer-flowering viticella clematis produces a profusion of deep purple flowers with creamy-yellow centres from July to September. Looks stunning scrambling through trees, shrubs and climbing roses. Stands up well to wind and is resistant to clematis wilt.
- Garden care: In early spring cut back the previous year's stems to a pair of strong buds about 15-20cm (6-8in) above ground level and apply a slow-release balanced fertiliser and a mulch of well-rotted garden compost around the plant, avoiding the immediate crown.